Joseph J. Strout
Produce high-quality, reliable software for science, business, and entertainment, with an emphasis on scientific programming, AI, and VR.
A.B. (Honors) in Psychology (Minor in Mathematics) from
Miami University in Oxford, OH. May 1994.
M.S. in Neuroscience from the
University of California, San Diego. June 1997.
M.S. in Computer Science from
Colorado State University. June 2020.
Over 15 years of programming experience in various languages and platforms (see below). Designed and maintains several web sites generating thousands of hits per day. Designed and produced many software packages now widely used in business, scientific, and personal arenas.
Experienced in 3-D graphics including AR and VR; interface design; database design and implementation; network programming; compilers and language design; and artificial intelligence (including neural networks, expert systems, natural language processing, and image analysis).
Developed a novel scripting language (a href="https://miniscript.org/">MiniScript) with a clean, modern syntax with a large and growing user base (see why).
A (somewhat dated) portfolio of software and other work is available on the web at:
- Software Engineering Consultant (2010 - Present) -- custom software design and development for clients in a wide variety of areas, including mine simulation, enterprise resource planning, data analysis, 3D graphics, AI, and virtual reality.
- Senior Software Engineer (2000 - 2010) -- design, implementation, and maintenance of a major software product (REALbasic) involving compiler design, user interface, and cross-platform API development.
- Biocomputing Specialist (1999 - 2000) -- job duties include
designing and writing software for hardware control, data
analysis and visualization, and simulation for a neuroscience
laboratory. Involves 3D graphics, mathematics, and user
interface design in languages of C/C++, Python, and Lisp.
- Programmer/Analyst (1990 - 1994) -- job duties included designing and writing software for inventory control, automated manufacturing, process planning, and miscellaneous utilities for a
fluid-products manufacturing company.
ARO Ingersoll Rand
1 Aro Center
Bryan, OH 43506
Supervisor: David Bianco
- Software Consultant (1994) -- helped in-house programmers design and code a process planning and cost-estimation system for a cable & harness manufacturing company.
2135 Ringwood Ave.
San Jose, CA 95131
Supervisor: Ron Mills
References available upon request.